Indie Anorak

Welcome to Indie Anorak - my musings on indie pop and rock. It's aimed at people like me, who spend far too much time in the pub wittering on about their favourite Smiths b-sides and best '60s singles.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Meeting Morrissey

Stop me if you think that you've heard this one before, but have I told you about the time I almost spilt my drink over Morrissey?
One Saturday night, I was checking out this year's 'new Smiths' The Boyfriends at Blow Up, when I came face to face with Mozzer!
I was carrying a round of drinks back from the crowded bar, when all of a sudden; I had to dodge out of the way of an oncoming punter. As I looked closer, I couldn't believe my eyes. There in front of me was none other than Stephen Patrick Morrissey.
I must say he looked great in the flesh. With his distinguished grey quiff and smart attire, he resembled a slightly confused and eccentric uncle who'd wandered into a noisy indie club by mistake!
I almost dropped my beer in amazement. Unfortunately, I couldn't pluck up the courage to speak to him (What would you say?) Overcome by emotion, ("Shyness is nice, and shyness can stop you from doing all the thing in life you'd like to,") I giggled nervously and, with shaking hands, delivered the drinks to my mates. I then spent the rest of the evening boring them senseless by recounting the story of my chance encounter with the godfather of indie.
Apologies to all of the people I called and texted, too - sorry, but I just had to let you know that I'd had one of the best nights of my life ever. And to cap it all, The Boyfriends were amazing, too.
They played one of their finest gigs to date – a memorable set of swaggering modern indie anthems that recall the best of The Smiths, Joy Division and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Even Morrissey must have gone home happy.


Click here for more info on Morrissey
Click here for more info on The Boyfriends

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home